Sunday, May 1, 2011

A lovely lady marries her Principe azul


The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

“Sarah, stop acting like a princess!” My dad would constantly scold me as a child when I was acting like a dainty brat.  Sarah, with an “H”, is a Hebrew name that means “Little Princess.”  I have never liked to get my hands dirty and when I don’t like something or don’t want to do something, I put my foot down, absolutely refuse to take part, and I suppose to my father, it was like I was acting like a little princess who was not going to be ruled over by anybody.  

I think that many women dream of their own fairy tale wedding and have at some point imagined themselves marrying a handsome Prince.  Who doesn't dream of being a Princess?  In Spain, single women say they are waiting for their Principe azul, their prince charming.

On Friday, millions of people got to witness Catherine Elizabeth Middleton marry her Principe azul, the handsome Prince William.  She is no longer a “commoner” but Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Cambridge.  I watched the Royal Wedding from work on three different internet sites because there seemed to be so much traffic on all of the sites streamlining the wedding that when one got cut off, I would click on a different tab so I wouldn’t miss a single detail.

I admittedly got a bit obsessed with the Royal Wedding which the Brainy Boss couldn’t understand because according to him, North Americans should be against all British Royalty after we protested against their reign and their tea taxes over the United States through the Boston Tea Party back in 1773.   

I was posting links and updates like a maniac on my Facebook profile to the point that two girl friends wrote on my wall that I was cracking them up with all of my Royal Wedding updates.  I was actually cracking myself up as well!  I decided that if I was going to post updates, I might as well do it royally!  I had so much fun!  I LOVE weddings and I LOVE looking at the outfits.  I wasn’t the only one who was so attentive to the Royal Wedding as a dear friend in the States was also updating and she sent me a Facebook invitation to the Royal Wedding!  She woke up at 4:00 AM US time and had a bunch of friends over for scones and tea and they all dressed up to watch the wedding.  Another friend and her daughter wore a “fascinator” (I call them hats or hattinis) during their breakfast.  A sorority sister who is currently living in the UK attended a “Royal wedding street party” where everybody got dressed up and celebrated as those in the United Kingdom were given the day off for the historic event…the list of those I know overjoyed by the event goes on.

At 13:50, I left my office and zipped over to a friend’s house in a taxi to watch the first public kiss of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the same balcony his late mother Princess Diana had her first public kiss for millions to see 31 years before.  To everybody’s delight, the newlyweds shared not just one kiss, but two!  My heart soared with happiness, I could feel the love.  Many hoped for a hat trick, I thought it was sweet.

There has been a lot of criticism of her dress, I thought it was perfect.  Every single detail of the dress was handmade in the UK.  I thought Kate looked absolutely stunning.  I think that designer Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen could not have captured Kate’s sense of style to create a dress so lovely, classic yet modern and graceful with such intricate detail that made it look like the glowing Kate was floating down the aisle to marry her Principe azul.

There has been a lot of criticism about the amount of money spent on the wedding in a time of crisis, I think the Royal Wedding was just what the planet needed, a little break from all of the horrors of every day life, a reminder that despite tough times, wars, Tsunamis, and all the other crap going on, that love exist and that love is stronger than any negative happenings.

I am simply delighted that I got to witness the Historic moment of the Royal Wedding and I wish the Royal couple a life full of love and happiness.  If you are still waiting for your Principe azul, I wish you all the best and may your wedding be just as much as a fairy tale as the one millions got to enjoy.  If you already have your Principe azul, always make your heart dance with two kisses, not just one.

El beso real

No comments:

Post a Comment