Wednesday, May 25, 2011

El Gran Artista en EXPOSICIÓN SOLIDARIA - ARTE CONTRA EL HAMBRE

I was pleasantly surprised last week when my Italian friend, Dario, invited me to opening of an exposition where all of the pieces sold at the gallery from today until June 4th will go to conquer hunger and will be donated to Pozo del Tío Raimundo in Madrid.  As I continued to read his email, my heart started to jump for joy, for the first time, I was going to see his works on display and possibly sold.

I remember the first time I met Dario.  I met him at one of Eli Bellie’s birthday parties about 3 or 4 years ago.  I noticed his accent right away.  Dario is from Roma, nothing sounds better than a Roman saying his own city in his Roman accent.  He works as a computer engineer and paints with a brush that has one hair on his free time.  I have always admired his works.  He has always invited me to his apartment to see his latest creation and some that are in the process.  His works have a lot of energy and have so much detail that I have often spent a long time just looking at one section of his paintings.  His paintings usually deal with exotic plants, flower, bugs and animals.  I can interpret them of how things are connected and how they can revolutionize into something different.  I have offered to buy one and even steal one on more than one occasion!  But he always said that they are not for sale.  Boohoo…  

Dario Battaglini


I walked to the exposition after work.  The Galería Begoña Malone is located right in Chueca on Calle Pelayo, 50 and very easy to get to.

I really didn’t know what to expect, I don’t think that I had been in an art expo where the pieces were for sale since I worked for Christie’s back in 2000.  I always go to museums and special exhibitions but it is not often that I go to a gallery.  On my stroll over to the expo, I managed to go to the wrong building first because apparently there are two number 50s and when I peeked through the window, I was thinking to myself, “This cannot be – there is nobody here.  Did I get the day wrong?”

I took out the invitation and I had the day right but the wrong address.

The gallery is two floors, ground level and a floor below.  The walls are a crisp white, which makes the paintings hung on the walls show all of their strengths.

Dario Battaglini
When I entered the gallery, I immediately spotted Dario’s cuadritos.  They weren’t labeled but I knew they were his.  I took a look at all of the paintings and they were all quite impressive.  There weren’t many people when I first got there and Dario nor Miguel, his partner, were anywhere to be seen.  I continued to make my way around the ground floor; I spotted another one of Dario’s cuadros.  The smile on my face went ear to ear.  His works have so much detail, they are amazing.  And there, just like his painting, I spotted him.  I gave Dario a big hug and then went to the basement to see the rest of the exhibit.

I took a quick peek and then rushed back upstairs to congratulation the up and coming artist on his first exhibition.  I decided to buy one of his works of art and Dario explained that they are a series but they can be purchased individually.  Dario and his friend who is also an artist helped me pick two out. I was ecstatic, I was finally going to own a Dario!!  And to top it off, I was the first one to purchase one of his works of art.  As I was making my purchase, his works were being swarmed!  He was giggling in disbelief!!  I think he sold almost all of them in about 5 minutes!!

I left the exhibit feeling exuberant, absolutely delighted!  I was so happy to see Dario so happy and supported by all of his friends who were so happy to be there as well.  

Cheers, Dario!  I am so proud of you, El gran artista!    


If you are in Madrid, I suggest you check out the gallery and make a purchase; it goes for a good cause and you get to see some unique pieces of art.  If you ever get invited to a special exhibit, go!  You can always see unique pieces of art and even buy a little something special to hang on your own blank walls.    
Dario pointing out one of the purchased cuadritos, I left mine there till the exhibit is over!!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment