Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Teenybopper Books!!



I finished the first book of the Stephanie Meyer’s series during my lunch hours at one of my favorite cafés today. My friend, D, has all the other three novels to lend me but I just couldn’t wait to figure out when we would get together for some vinitos so we could make a book exchange and besides that, I am totally addicted, just like a vampire needs blood to survive.

So, I run through the square when the cafés is located and cross calle Genova and enter frantically into my favorite bookshop, Paisajes, which just happens to be only blocks away from my office, to buy the second book in the series.

I enter the store, almost flinging the door off its hinges, I hurry down the staircase to the “English” books section and I was looking for the books, my looking turned into desperation.

“¿Tienen ustedes los libros de la serie de Stephenie Meyer?” I ask the bookstore lady.

“Sí, los tenemos.  Están en la parte infantil.”  She directed me to the kids’ section of the bookstore.

“¿Infantil?!! ?”

“Sí, infantil pero no sé si vamos a poder encontrar los libros porque estámos con una mudanza.”

She must have seen the look of distress in my eyes.   The freaking kids’ section?  “WOW! I have hit an all time low…reading kids’ books and devouring them?” I thought to myself.

We walk back up the stairs and the orderly store was in upheaval.  She looked for a few minutes at all of the piles on the floor and finally asked one of her coworkers where the novels were.  They were probably the only novels left on the shelf.

“Aye, muchas gracias.  Es que no puedo creer que son libros infantiles.”  I said thanks and told him that I couldn’t believe they were children’s books.

“Bueno, más bien son libros juveniles y adultos.” He reassured me that they were books for teenagers and adults.

Despite the fact that I was rather humiliated, I shrugged it off, I even had great pep in my step back to work – I ask the door lady if she had heard of the books and her reply,

“¡Claro que sí!  Mi hija está leyéndolos.”

Yep, that’s it; her daughter is reading them as well.  I have always thought that there is nothing better than a great book and nothing worse than a crappy book that you are obligated to read for a degree.  Nonetheless, I cannot wait to start the second this evening and I will not cover it with a book cover for public reading – kids’ book, teenyboppers book or not!!

No comments:

Post a Comment