Friday, January 14, 2011

ATTENTION!! ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS!! – Avoid Shopping till March…

Image from Massimo Dutti website
When to start avoiding stores during sales worldwide

I worked retail years back.  I worked at Ann Taylor.  I first worked at the “AT” at the Stamford Mall and then in hometown.  To this very day, I hate malls.  I didn’t really care for the job but being that I am such a cheap ass, I loved the discount and my co-workers.  Actually, I didn’t really like the job at all, being on your feet all day sucks and dealing with rude customers sucks even more.  I am so OCD, I never minded “sizing” the clothes nor folding them with a “folding board”.  Boy, do I have stories from that experience much like the story from a temp job in NYC with Thelma.

The sales started in Madrid on January 7th, the day after Three Kings Day.  According to the Spanish papers, each consumer will spend about 85€ during the sales which is lower than last year.   I like to think of the sales as the time when it is best to avoid shopping at all cost.  The clothes are all picked, there are no sizes, people push and shove and I am convinced that this is a time when all of the evil people come out and clutter the stores.  It’s almost like SALE=Be an Asshole.  Awful.  I also find that I am a magnet for non-sale items.  If it is not on sale, I will surely adore it.

I went to one of my favorite stores during my lunch hours on January 7th.  I ended up buying a couple of nice things that I don’t need.  I probably would have bought more stuff had I not gotten such bad anxiety from the fact that nothing fit due to the holiday bulge that seems to have made itself a home on my stomach and the fact that they had the heat on full blast – that’s a way to keep customers out.  I paid for my goods and decided that was about it for sale shopping for me. 

Well, I guess that it wasn’t about it for me.  I decided to hit the stores today and ended up having a total “AT” flashback!  First, I went into Zara and it was an OCD sufferer’s nightmare, so I dashed out of there.  Next, I went into Massimo Dutti and I noticed two sketch balls - they had a big El Corte Inglés bag and they were whispering.  I knew something was odd so I went to the other side of the store.  There were these lovely emerald green dresses hanging up, yes, they were from the full-priced new collection and I had looked at them just moments before, they robbed the entire rack!  Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!  Then they proceeded to walk gracefully out of the store and nobody bothered to stop them even when the obnoxious alarm sounded.  I remember at “AT” we had to zone and watch out for possible robbers and ask everybody who entered the store if they needed any help within a 30 second timeframe, just to let customers know we were there to serve.  I didn't say anything today so I feel kind of bad.  BUT I did rat out a drunk man stuffing tubes of toothpaste in his pants at the grocery store the other day - so that makes up for it right??

If you are hoping for a bargain, now is your time.  If you want to avoid not so nice people, not having to claw your way through the racks, watching items get stolen, frustration, wait till all the sales end and the new collections come out.  That would be March 3rd in Madrid. 
Email Promotion from Mango

No comments:

Post a Comment