Monday, January 3, 2011

San Silvestre Vallecana 2010


So basically I have been at work all day and I have the “I am at work in body, still on vacation in spirit” feeling.  I have been reading blogs about people’s new year’s resolutions and those who don’t make resolutions and I tend to lean on the latter of the two.  I used to make New Year’s resolutions but then realized that why should I make a list of things that I want to do and more than likely won’t?   It only sets up for disappointment.  My list usually consisted of be a nicer person, lose 10 pounds, be more creative, travel more – can you spell B-O-R-I-N-G?  I am a nice person when I am in a good mood or somebody doesn’t piss me off, the pounds will eventually fall off (I have been eating too many tapas and drinking too much Ribera)….I am pretty creative when I want to be and I am always willing to travel should my budget allow.  So, no New Year’s resolutions for me.  Perfect!!  I have been trying to live my life at the moment for the last two and a half years and I must say, I have been having a great time. 

When I got to work today, I was the first to arrive but soon enough the cavalry trickled in with their “I have just been on the best holiday EVER” faces. 

“¡Feliz año Nuevo!” per usual, I opted not to give the two kisses (I try to keep it business like at the office but three co-workers managed to get the besitos out of the americana).


One of the major New Year’s Eve events in Madrid that I forgot to write about in my blog the other day is the San Silvestre Vallecana.  It is a 10 kilometer marathon that starts at the north end of Madrid and ends in my hood, Vallecas.  I have seen the runners since 2003, when I first took over my husband’s bachelor pad.  It is quite the event and each year there are more runners.  This year there were 34,000!  The race attracts not only real runners but also those who are enthusiastic to run a race.  I am still pretty shocked by the number of runners this year but I am even more shocked by the fact that there were minimal holiday lights in the hood this year, pathetic.  There are blue holiday lights sporadically strung on the trees and no holiday light banners (typical in Madrid); usually we have ones that remind me of Kwanza.  But anyhow, I have never thought of Spaniards as very athletic despite the fact that the football team won the World Cup this past year and all of the major triumphs of Rafa Nadal so it made me happy to see so many sign up.  The race is actually fun to watch due to the people that run in groups and wear costumes.  This year’s favorite was a group dressed as Pac Man and the ghosts.  Some do actually race to win or improve their time but many do it for pure camaraderie.

I had 2 friends run, one from Venezuela and a co-worker.  I managed to spot the Venezuelan but I didn’t manage to see my co-worker, Tony.  Since it was quite chilly out, I watched for an hour, took some photos and opted to send Tony a SMS saying that I tried to spot him and to wish him a Happy New Year.  He responded several hours later that he had run the race with another co-worker.

When Tony got to work today, he had a great big smile and wished me happy holidays, etc., he was so excited that I had seen the race.

“¿Dónde estuviste?” he asked.

“¿Sabes dónde habían los tambores y músicos, una manzana más por arriba a la derecha de la cuesta arriba al lado del metro Nueva Numancia.”  I informed him that I was a block up from the band, on the right hand side going up hill.

“Aye, ¡qué bien!” How cool.

So a bit later, as the office resumes their version of Camara Café, I hear others talking about how the last part was all up hill and they tried their best not to lose their pace.  Turns out 3 co-workers ran the race.  Most of my co-workers are pretty athletic and pretty competitive, most work out and if given the chance, they even compare cholesterol, which I find a bit disturbing.

Perhaps a “someday” resolution could be to run in the San Silvestre Vallecana!!!  Or to try and take charge of the Holiday decorating in Vallecas!!

**Pictures will be posted later!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with ya on the resolutions (though not so much on the running...ever). I'm also very impressed by the whole bi-lingual blog thing. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my posts are better than others - going to make more of an effort this 2011...please note, that is not a resolution! Happy 2011 to you too!

    ReplyDelete