Wednesday, March 2, 2011

An Adam Fuss Exhibit all to Myself...


Adam Fuss - For Allegra, 2009

“HI!!!

SO!  in Madrid is a show that I helped work on and ship art to.

@ Fundacio MAPFRE,

Adam Fuss.

Please go.  He's a good artist.

xoxoxox”

This is an email that I received from a dear friend the other day; it has been a bit censored just like I was dictator Franco censoring all communication in Spain back in the last century.  I LOVE email.  I must say that I LOVE receiving posted mail better but as days go by, I am more convinced that many people have no idea where a post office is located in relation to their homes nor workplace and I suppose that adhesive stamps aren’t as fun as the ones you have to lick and put on the corner of the envelope.

But anyhow, I LOVE surprise emails, this friend somehow manages to send me the surprise emails all the time.  I especially love the emails that come from the States and that suggest something here in Spain; to go to an exhibit, a restaurant, a bar, a city or to try a wine, a tapa, etc.  My mom always manages to find little treasures in Spain such as this paper store, Depapel, that is absolutely adorable and extremely close to my office.  

My reply:

“Jajaja!!

It is right next to my office-i will go check it out!!!

xxoo”

Since I have a two hour lunch break, I am always looking for things to do that aren’t just boring old errands.  So, off I went to the Fundación Mapfre where they tend to have fabulous exhibits.  Some of their exhibits are so popular with such a long queue that many people never get in to enjoy them such as the Impressionist Exhibit and myself.  To top it off, the exhibits are free and as my dad always said, “If its for free, its for me”.

After I gorged my lunch at my desk, off I went to the Adam Fuss exhibit on a lovely day.  The exhibit is being held in the basement of the Fundación and is comprised of about 50 of his pieces.

I really didn’t know what to expect.  I browsed the Internet to find out a little bit about him but you never truly get a sense of what to expect.  He is a photographer and his mother was a model, his father died when he was young, he travelled between the UK and Australia, he resides in NYC, etc.

I took the elevator down to the basement and found that I was the only one there.  The guard was asleep with her cell phone in hand like it was a stun gun so I could just enjoy every single piece. I had the entire exhibit to myself. 

Picture me here, I had the entire exhibit to myself.
The guard isn't in the picture but since she was asleep, it doesn't matter.

I think that the quietness and the stillness of the exhibit were perfect for his works.  I found his photos to be quite stunning; some were eerie, some provoked thoughts of rain and peace, and some were just cool.  All of his works are very unique, a bit sexual, intriguing and quite lovely all at the same time.  I was trying to picture where they were taken or what was the photographer’s frame of mind at that moment when the shutter flashed. 

My email after seeing the exhibit:

“Dear friend!!

Was definitely impressed by Adam Fuss and I totally got to enjoy every piece at the Exhibit because I was the only one there!  I went at 14:30 when everybody is usually eating - I ate at my desk!  Really cool!!  Thanks for telling me about it!!

xxoo”

Her instant response:

SO glad you liked it!!!  He's a really neat photographer!

xoxoxox”

A few days later, I receive this email (which will probably be censored):

“SOOOO.... Adam Fuss is standing right behind me right now and about 10 seconds ago i told him that you went and saw his show and loved it.  he smiled and thanked me....

JUST PASSING ON THE LOVE.

xoxox”

As my friend passed on the LOVE to me, Madrid always has a handful of free exhibits which makes the city loveable and always tends to reach out to the masses.  If you are in Madrid and like photography, I suggest you take a peek at the Adam Fuss Exhibit at the Fundación Mapfre.

Adam Fuss - Untitled, 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment