Thursday, October 22, 2009

FOOD, Food, food!

I can not stop thinking about food - it is actually cracking me up. I have never been a big fan of food and have actually always had issues with food, both mentally and physically. I am having this HUGE urge for all of these things I can't eat! I think it is because I keep getting asked for gluten-free recipes, as if I cook! I am intolerant to almost everything: all lactose products, all carbohydrates except corn and potatoes, sugar, chocolate, lamb, celery, citric fruits, the list goes on, etc - so what exactly would I cook in the first place? (NO COMMENTS about the macaroons, please - I shouldn't eat them but......)

These would be the top ten things I would eat:

Thin-crust Pizza
Sushi
Lemon Cake with extra lemon-glaze frosting
Pad Thai Noodles with Shrimp
Big bowl of non-gluten free pasta with bolognese sauce & parmesiano
Curried rice with chicken or shrimp
Stuffing (from the turkey)
Chocolate cake - the one that bleeds hot chocolate when you cut it
Peanut butter sandwich

I can't seem to think of a tenth food at the moment because I am suddenly STARVING! I think it would be basically anything with a sauce on it or breaded, like calamari or an egg roll. Or perhaps a caiparihna or a mojito - drinks count for food, right?

Spaniards love food. They can base their days around it. Every Spaniard will claim that her/his mother makes the best tortilla de patata, paella, cocido, fabada, etc. I personally think that my husband makes the best paella (I used to eat it) and the best fabada with gluten-free meats. The Spaniards eat for hours at a given sitting, weekdays or weekends which I love because there is never any rush. There is always too much food. The whole idea of gluten-free is relatively new here and unfortunately, they really have no idea how to make food without wheat, barley, rye, etc which leaves me to eat grilled veggies and salmon more often than my liking. Fortunately, there are places that have specialty foods like the supermarket, Mercadona (their child is a celiac so the majority of the products are gluten-free at a reasonable price), el Corte Inglés, herbolerias, etc.

I would think that after being on a special diet for a year that I would be used to it by now. I just have to keep reminding myself that even though food can make you feel so wonderful that it can also make you feel so awful (like my situation last year when I blew up like a puffer fish and was just sick, sick, sick).

No comments:

Post a Comment