Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sailor's Mouth - Trucker's Mouth...¿Qué mal hablamos!

I have been known to have a sailor's mouth, in Spain it is called a boca de camioner@, a trucker's mouth. As I was too lazy to make my lunch this morning, I decided to go to Rodilla, a nasty sandwich chain that has a salad bar where they always have the free papers that are given out as you enter the Metro in the mornings. I almost never read these papers unless I go to Rodilla because I feel that the articles are semi-trashy but sometimes you got to catch up with the trash.

So, I grab the paper and sit down at a table with my free paper and my salad. On the cover is the headline, "¡Qué mal hablamos!". I hadn't even started the article and I just busted out laughing, nevermind, the others quietly eating looking at me like I was some kind of a nut. "How badly we speak", would be a decent translation. The article goes on to say that a judge in Cataluña favored the defendant who had lost his job after telling his/her boss that he/she was a "hijo de puta" (son of a bitch)!! The judge stated that swears have become an integrated part of everyday speech! I LOVE IT! After the King of Spain told the Venezuelan, sonofabitch, president Hugo Chávez to "¡Qué te calles!" it seems that here in Spain, we can go around calling each other bad names and to shut up and give the finger!

The article claims that there are over 10,000 swear words in Spain which is especially fun for somebody like me who has a trucker's mouth. During the day I hear "joder" (a personal favourite, FUCK), about 10,000 times, "coño" (cunt - HATE that word) about 1,000 times, cabrón (asshole) about 2,000 and ¡qué gilipollas! (what a jerk!) and ¡qué mierda/putada!" (what a load of shit!) about a million. I had to speak with one of my co-workers for abusing the word "coño" and his response was, "Coño, ni sabía que lo decía tanto" (That nasty word, I didn't realize I said it so much!).

I think that the "tacos" (swears) have definitely become integrated into the Spanish language as just yesterday a friend called me a "capulla", an idiot and a little while later I was called a "petarda". I must say that I still prefer the word "JODER" - o "está jodido" (he/she/its fucked)but I also like "perrac@", "mierda", "cállate"!

The article states that swears have been used artfully, the use of them goes back centuries, all the way to Cervantes and the Quijote and to top it off, it is all in the way you say it, as long as it is sincere. So next time you want to call your friend or boss a "hijo de puta", "coño" o "perraca", just make sure that you say it nicely and with a smile.

http://www.que.es/ultimas-noticias/sociedad/200909161917-mentecato-zoquete-meapilas-tarugo-papanatas.html

1 comment:

  1. JODIENDO CHISTOSO!!!! You are a riot
    I too hate the word Co__. and it is true there are soooooooo many bad words in spanish!!

    ReplyDelete