Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Movistar for 5 hours...


Movistar is Spain's big telecommunications company which is also the carrier for the iPhone. The thing about Telefonica/Movistar is that it is the worst telecommunications company but it is such a monopoly that you really have no choice. Telefonica owns all of the telephone wiring and rents it to other companies such as Orange. If you don't want to have problems with your Internet connection, then you gotta have Telefonica - if you want excellent cell phone service, you gotta use Movistar-absolutely RIDICULouS!

Their flagship store has a prime location on the calle Gran Vía, right smack in the center of the city in an beautiful, old building. They decorated it with plastic, plexo glass, play their theme song repeatedly on super high volume and have light shows under the stairs, which I didn't realize they were stairs on my first visit and wiped out! I must say that the only nice thing about going to the Flagship store is getting driven there by my boss's limo. I have had the pleasure of waiting at the Small Business desk for probably more time than I would ever like to admit. Like some things in Spain, there is absolutely NO order in the store - you get there and you can't even take a number and there is nobody to indicate where you need to go or stand. So needless to say, you have to look at all of the people waiting their turn to see who is last "¿Quién es el último?" and if you really want to guestimate how long you are going to be there - you would also ask how long they have been waiting.

Since I am the representative of our company, I have to go personally when somebody wants a new phone, which in my taste, is way too often. I have had to use our collected points (sort of like Miles) to get phones at a lesser cost which turn out costing a fortune, go figure? I have, thus to date, been to the Gran Vía Flagship and other Movistar stores about, what feels like, a thousand times. I still do not understand why we don't have an agent. I have gotten at least 5 Nokias (3 for one boss, one for me as the boobie prize although mine was delivered to the office, and another for another co-worker) and since the iPhone....uuuufs, I have gone for 7 or 8 iPhones. Mind you there are only 6 people on the company contract. So Movistar should know me by now, right? Think again! I got my boss, a while ago, a Nokia N97 which I think is by far the worst phone I have ever seen - I can't figure the thing out even after getting off the phone with customer service for 5 hours and physically going to the store where they gave me a different number to call. Needless to say, I am here writing about my morning and eating my salad because I decided I needed a break - his cell phone still doesn't work, BTW! Ooops. Thanks Movistar for putting me in a foul mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment