Wednesday, April 13, 2011

To dream a little dream....


Salvador Dalí
Sueño causado por el vuelo de una abeja alrededor 
de una granada un segundo antes del despertar
1944

“Es que, quiere jubilarse ya…”  I eavesdrop on Boss 1 saying to Mr. GQ that somebody wants to retire as they walk by my office.

“Quiero jubilarme también.” I yell that I want to retire too from my office.

“¡Ya lo sabemos!  Nada se le escapa a la Sarita.” Boss 1 says to Mr. GQ that they already knew that and that nothing escapes “The Sarita” (me!).

“I would love, loooove, LOVE it!” I add in English.

“We are sure you would!” He adds in his Spanish accented English.

That was a couple of weeks ago….

“If you were really wealthy and didn’t have to work, what would you do?” the Brainy Boss asks me today.

As my eyes light up, my heart starts to race and tingle with joy, he chuckles.  I think of the million and one things I would do.  So this is what I told him in almost a single breath…

I would be living in a large flat overlooking the Retiro Park with two cute Cocker Spaniels and I would have a walk in closet to hold all of my lovely shoes, similar to the one Carrie has in the Sex & the City movie.  The apartment would be equipped with an excessively large terrace with a big built-in grill to keep my husband happy.

Some of the activities to occupy my day would be studying Art History and learning to Paint at the Prado Museum.  I would master the art of Flamenco dancing through classes and going to shows all over Spain, I would have private Pilates classes, I would lunch and shop with a pal, I would have an obligatory siesta every afternoon, I would take a creative writing class in Spanish, I would volunteer to help combat illiteracy…I would organize fund-raising events for organizations (they would include fabulous Spanish vino and cava).

In the evening, I would be quite flexible to whatever plans arise, vinitos with hubby/friends or just enjoying the terrace of my own home or watching TV.

At the weekends, if I wasn’t pruning the grapes or tending to the beautiful garden on my vineyard, I would hop on my private jet to wherever my little heart desires….Macaroons and champagne in Paris, High Tea with Annabel followed by theater or dance in London, if I was feeling home sick, I would head to Stateside for a few days or if there was a girls’ weekend, I would be there….I have yet to travel to Budapest to experience the heart of Europe, Morocco to see Spain from a different angle, Russia to see Saint Peter’s Cathedral, Japan while the cherry blossoms are in bloom, Brazil for the Carnival, Peru to climb Machu Picchu, Venezuela to see where Joanna’s family is from, Finland to eat some good salmon with dill, Ice Land to see the northern lights, Alaska to see some glaciers, and California to try some of Sutton Cellars Cloudy vermouth, to name a few of the places on my list.

“Wow!!  I can see that you have this really thought out!” The Brainy Boss states in a fully surprised way almost in shock that he asked me the question in the first place.

“It would be fabulous.  A broad abroad can dream, right?”

Salvador Dalí Muchacha en la ventana 1926


3 comments:

  1. Pick me Pick Me I want to jubilarme asi tambien!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would surely pay you a visit in Georgia!! AND I would bring jamon & vino, desde luego!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puedo ser tu asistente personal? Sería como jubilarme!

    ReplyDelete